Laos 2007

According to ezinereligion, in 2007, the population of Laos was estimated to be around 6.3 million people, with the Lao ethnic majority making up approximately 68% of the population and other ethnic minorities making up the remaining 32%. The economy in 2007 was largely based on subsistence agriculture and forestry, although there had been a steady increase in foreign direct investment in recent years due to its strategic location between South East Asian countries. In terms of foreign relations, Laos had strong ties with its Southeast Asian neighbors, as well as with China and Russia. Politically, Laos was a single-party socialist republic led by the Communist Party of Laos; the National Assembly served as the legislature and elections were held every five years for both offices. In 2007, President Khamtay Siphandone was re-elected for a second term amidst allegations of electoral fraud.

Yearbook 2007

Laos. According to CountryAAH, Vientiane is the capital city of Laos. Vang Pao, former general and leader of the CIA-backed Hmonggerilla who has fought the communist regime in L. since the 1970s, was arrested in his home in California by the U.S. police in June. Vang Pao, along with nine other people, were accused of planning an armed coup against the Vientiane regime. The ten should have accepted an offer from FBI agents, dressed to gun dealers, to buy weapons and explosives for nearly $ 10 million. According to information from a California court, the ten planned to send the weapons along with more than 1,200 mercenaries to the Thai-Lao border to attack Vientiane from there.

Laos Vientiane Places to Visit

The arrest of 77-year-old Vang Pao aroused upset feelings in the approximately 100,000-man Hmong minority that now lives in the United States. Within this group, Vang Pao is a hero for his fight against communism in L. When Vang Pao’s hmonggerilla was defeated in 1975, the general went into exile in Thailand, and later in the United States. In 1976, he was sentenced to death in his absence by a Lao court.

Since 1975, the Hmong people in L. have been treated by the regime as a hostile minority. They have been persecuted, discriminated against and violations of their human rights have been many over the years. Today, only a small, scattered and isolated guerrilla group remains, most struggling for survival in the jungle.

In July, Vang Pao was released on bail and then was placed under house arrest in his home.

Laos weather in March, April and May

Average daily temperatures between 32 ° C and 35 ° C can be expected over the next three months. It gets warmest in April in Savannakhet, a little cooler in May in Vientiane.

The expected rainfall is around 3 days in March, around 7 days in April and around 14 days in May.

In the period from March to May, the sun shines on average between 0 and 8 hours a day. The sunniest weather is in April in Vientiane, with less sun you will have to get by in March in Savannakhet.


Vientiane, capital of Laos; 620,200 residents (2015). Vientiane is located on Mekong’s northern shore and is not only the country’s center for administration, industry, education and cultural life but also completely dominant in terms of trade and transport.

Here, simpler consumer goods are made of metal, plastic and rubber, building materials, foodstuffs and textile and tobacco products. Since 1994, the first bridge over the Mekong, the Friendship Bridge, has been located in a suburb east of Vientiane, which through Nong Khai on the Thai side provides connections with, among other things. Bangkok.

The place has been inhabited since prehistoric times and the city is occupied at least from the 8th century. From the 1350s, Vientiane belonged to the Laotian kingdom of Lan Xang, whose capital it became in 1569. From 1707 it was the center of its own kingdom. This was suppressed by Siam (Thailand) in 1777, and in connection with a revolt in 1827 the city was destroyed. From 1893 to 1953 (with residence 1941-46), Vientiane was the seat of the French colonial administration.