Whitefield is a small town in Lincoln County, Maine with a population of just over 1,500. It is located on the Sheepscot River and is surrounded by the rolling hills and forests of mid-coast Maine. The climate in Whitefield is typical of the region, with mild summers and cold winters.
Whitefield has a rich history that dates back to the early 1800s when it was first settled by farmers. The town was incorporated in 1844 and has been an important part of Maine’s lumber industry ever since. In more recent years, Whitefield has become known for its cranberry industry. The town’s economy is largely based on agriculture, tourism, and small businesses.
Whitefield has two schools: a public elementary school and a private high school. Both schools are dedicated to providing students with quality education in a safe environment. Whitefield also offers many recreational activities such as fishing, hunting, boating, hiking trails, skiing, snowshoeing and more for those who enjoy outdoor activities.
The town has several landmarks that are worth visiting including the historic Whitefield Town Hall which was built in 1867 and features an impressive clock tower; the Sheepscot River Bridge which offers wonderful views of the river; Lovers Leap Park which offers breathtaking views of Mount Katahdin; and the historic homes along Main Street that offer glimpses into Whitefield’s past. Additionally, there are several churches located throughout town that provide spiritual guidance to residents as well as visitors alike. All these sites make for a great day trip when visiting this quaint coastal village!
Population: 2,273. Estimated population in July 2020: 2,261 (-0.5% change)
Males: 1,125 (49.5%), Females: 1,148 (50.5%)
Median resident age: 37.8 years
Median household income: $38,477
Median house value: $87,200
Races in Whitefield:
- White Non-Hispanic (96.7%)
- American Indian (1.6%)
- Hispanic (0.9%)
- Two or more races (0.7%)
Ancestries: English (26.2%), Irish (15.9%), French (12.7%), United States (12.2%), German (9.3%), Scottish (4.8%).
Elevation: 100 feet
Whitefield, Maine is a small town situated in Lincoln County. It is located near the coast of Maine and has a population of around 1,500 people. The town’s main industries are fishing and lobster processing, but there are also many small businesses in the area. The median household income is around $45,000 per year and the median home value is $140,000.
Living costs in Whitefield are relatively low compared to other areas in Maine. Groceries and utilities typically cost less than they do in larger cities in the state. Property taxes are also lower than average for the region. There are no major shopping malls or large chain stores within Whitefield itself, but there are several smaller stores that offer basic necessities such as clothing and groceries. Housing costs vary depending on location, with some homes being more expensive than others due to their proximity to amenities like beaches or parks. Renters can find housing for as low as $600 per month while the average cost of purchasing a home is around $150,000 – 200,000 depending on size and condition of the property.
For population 25 years and over in Whitefield
- High school or higher: 81.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 19.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.6%
- Unemployed: 5.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 27.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Whitefield town
- Never married: 21.9%
- Now married: 59.1%
- Separated: 1.1%
- Widowed: 8.1%
- Divorced: 9.8%
1.4% Foreign born
Hospitals/medical centers near Whitefield:
- MILES MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 14 miles; DAMARISCOTTA, ME)
- AUGUSTA MENTAL HEALTH INSTITUTE (about 16 miles; AUGUSTA, ME)
- ST ANDREWS HOSPITAL (about 22 miles; BOOTHBAY HARBOR, ME)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Whitefield:
- BRUNSWICK NAS (about 29 miles; BRUNSWICK, ME; Abbreviation: NHZ)
- PORTLAND INTL JETPORT (about 60 miles; PORTLAND, ME; Abbreviation: PWM)
- BANGOR INTL (about 71 miles; BANGOR, ME; Abbreviation: BGR)
Other public-use airports nearest to Whitefield:
- AUGUSTA (about 12 miles; AUGUSTA, ME; Abbreviation: M00)
- AUGUSTA STATE (about 15 miles; AUGUSTA, ME; Abbreviation: AUG)
- WISCASSET (about 16 miles; WISCASSET, ME; Abbreviation: IWI)
Colleges and Universities
Note: See jibin123 for a list of Maine graduate schools.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Whitefield:
- UNIVERSITY OF MAINE AT AUGUSTA (about 16 miles; AUGUSTA, ME; Full-time enrollment: 3,172)
- UNIVERSITY OF MAINE AT FARMINGTON (about 49 miles; FARMINGTON, ME; Full-time enrollment: 2,229)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN MAINE (about 57 miles; PORTLAND, ME; Full-time enrollment: 7,381)
- SAINT JOSEPHS COLLEGE (about 71 miles; STANDISH, ME; Full-time enrollment: 2,376)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW ENGLAND-UNIVERSITY CAMPUS (about 75 miles; BIDDEFORD, ME; Full-time enrollment: 2,251)
- UNIVERSITY OF MAINE (about 90 miles; ORONO, ME; Full-time enrollment: 8,590)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE-MAIN CAMPUS (about 117 miles; DURHAM, NH; Full-time enrollment: 12,586)
Public primary/middle school in Whitefield:
- WHITEFIELD ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 272; Location: 164 GRAND ARMY ROAD; Grades: KG – 08)